Carrot Juice: Let Food Be Your Medicine
The bright-orange colour of carrots is a give-away to their rich content of Beta-Carotene. Beta-Carotene is a potent anti-oxidant and a precursor to Vitamin A. It’s no secret that carrots are good for the eyes, but did you know they are also amazing for the immune system, skin, and healthy mucous membranes (like our lungs).
They aren’t only full of beta-carotene but also:
- Vitamin C
- Manganese**Essential for bone health
- Vitamin K
- Lutein**Great for macular degeneration, heart and prostate health
Not surprisingly (since we know carrots support mucus membranes) there are more findings showing that 1.5 of fresh carrot juice a day can inhibit the growth of cancer cells in the colon.
Fun Facts about Carrots:
- they are the second most popular veggie after potatoes
- the name Carrot comes from the Greek word “Karoton” (which is why beta-carotene was named carotene!)
- The average person consumes 12 pounds of carrots a year
- Juicing carrots makes carotenoids 600% more available
- Carotenoids are best absorbed with a little bit of fat (so have a little snack with your fave carrot juice!)